The skin is the largest organ in the body, but this part deserves the best care with everything concerning your health. Many people don’t give their skin the correct maintenance, risking sun exposure that can cause sunburn, leading to dangerous problems like skin cancer and skin aging. Skin cancer is one of the common cancers, but it’s still a disease that can steal the lives of many. However, you can avoid it simply by using sunscreen and other products. Keep reading to know more about this!
Sunscreen protects you against sunburn
Our skin suffers damage because of ultraviolet radiation (UV). Sunburn and tanning are skin damages caused by the sun. Both are related, but the first results from prolonged exposure under the sun, while the second is how the skin protects itself by producing more pigmentation. However, this is not enough. The constant sun exposure can generate different problems from skin spots, wrinkles, “leathery skin” to cancer better known as skin melanoma.
The FDA always recommends using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher, even on cloudy days after all the clouds will never stop the UV rays. Some recommendations for the use of sunscreen:
- The sunscreen must cover all bare skin, like nose, ears, neck, hands, feet, and lips, for this one will be better to use balsam with sun protection.
- Reapply at least every two hours. If you’re swimming or sweating, the application should be every hour.
- No sunscreen completely blocks UV radiation or is waterproof. Other protections are needed, such as good clothing, sunglasses, and staying in the shade.
Prevents sunburn and premature skin aging
Follow these suggestions to prevent damages to the skin:
- Limit the time under the sun, especially between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., when the sun’s rays are most intense.
- Wear clothes to cover the skin exposed to the sun, such as long-sleeve shirts, pants, sunglasses, and broad-brim hats.
- Use broad spectrum sunscreens with an SPF value of 15 or higher regularly. Always read the label carefully to ensure the use of sunscreen correctly.
- Consult a healthcare professional if something strange appears on the skin and about sunscreen application to kids.
Sunburn and skin aging are things easy to prevent while taking the correct measures. Taking care of yourself is something important. Health is not granted! Keep an eye on our blog to learn more about it.